In 2018, there was more than 5 million Better Business Bureau (BBB) inquires against substandard roofers in the US. The lesson learned is you need to know what qualifications to look for when you hire a contractor to repair or replace your roof. You wouldn’t hire an uninsured, uncertified and unproven mechanic to fix your car. Neither should you trust an unqualified contractor to work on your roof.
When you need your roof serviced, be sure to ask the potential contractor if they are a GAF (General Aniline & Film) Master-Elite Factory Certified contractor. GAF is a roofing material manufacturing company whose beginnings date back to the late 19th century. In order to become a GAF Master-Elite™ Factory Certified contractor, contractors must adhere to an extremely high standard. Only an estimated 3% of roofing contractors are Master Elite certified. Before a contractor is granted the Master Elite status, GAF verifies the following factors and qualifications of the business:
- The company has a minimum of 7 years in business and 1 year in the certification program
- The company must earn a 99% customer satisfaction rating on independent surveys from GAF
- Must carry a $1 million general liability coverage program with valid workers’ compensation
- The company must have a satisfactory BBB rating
- Business must have a GOOD or better credit rating, with clean banking records (no overdrafts or negative info) and a clean distributor reference
- Additionally, the company must have no liens, unresolved judgments, and a good workmanship record
In addition to these basic qualifications, GAF’s factory certification program provides ongoing training to roofing contractors and assurance to you that the roof will be completed well and professionally. Be careful if your potential contractor mentions a different certification. Some roofing material manufacturers also supply their contractors with various certifications. Do your homework! These certifications are often unrelated to the quality of service or customer satisfaction but are at times awarded dependent on factors like how much of the manufacturer’s product the contractor sells. These ‘certifications’ are not designed to protect the consumer.
Aurum Contracting prides itself in being a GAF Master-Elite Factory Certified contractor and upholding a standard work ethic that few can meet. We strive for 100% customer satisfaction on every project and at the end of the day, we work on your home as if they were our own. That’s the Aurum way.